My photo
I'm a father, I'm a husband, I'm a child, I'm a brother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint, I'm a fighter, I'm a lover, I'm a student, I'm a teacher,

Thursday, July 8, 2010

New Workout - 7/12/10

For the past 12 weeks my workout partner and I have been doing a Bill Starr strength program to increase strength is a few exercises. This worked as my dead lift went from 3 reps of 225lbs to 5 reps @ 285lbs, squat went from 225lbs of 8 reps to 285lbs of 5 reps, and hang clean went from 95lbs of 3 reps to 155lbs at 5 reps. The only disappointing outcome was that my bench press did not get much better, but I am still working on it.

We are going to go back to a more traditional body building type program for a couple of months before trying another strength program.

Below is the strength program we were on and the new workout we will be starting next Monday:

Bill Starr workout -

Monday – Heavy Day

Squat – 5 sets of 5
Bench – 5 sets of 5
Hang clean – 5 sets of 5
Weighted dips - 2 sets
Weighted sit-ups - 4 sets

On Monday, the weight for each lift is increased on each set of 5, from a light warm-up to an all out set of 5. The weight should be increased evenly from your first to last set. Your fifth set equals the triple from the previous Friday's workout.

Wednesday – Light Day
Squat – 4 sets of 5
Overhead Press – 4 sets of 5
Deadlift – 4 sets of 5
Sit-ups - 3 sets

On light day, Squat the first 3 sets of 5 just as you did on Monday, and then do a fourth set of 5 with the weight used on the third set. Overhead Press and deadlifts are ramped up to a top set of five.

Friday - Medium
Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
Barbell Row or Powerclean– 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8 for rows
Weighted Dips - 3 sets of 5-8
Triceps Extension and Biceps Curl - 3 sets of 8 each

On Friday, the first four sets are the same as they were on Monday. The fifth set, done for three reps, should be a jump of about 2.5% over what you did for your fifth set on Monday. In fact, the goal is to come back the following Monday and get the same weight for 5 reps that you got for 3 reps the Friday before. After the big triple, drop back to the weight you used for your 3rd set and try to get eight reps.

New workout -

Mon:

Warm up: varies

Bench press - 4 sets x 5 reps

Incline press bar/dumbbell - 3 sets x 10 reps

Flyes peck deck/dumbbells - 3 sets x 10 reps

Overhead press - 3 sets x 10 reps

Lateral raise - 3 sets x 10 reps

Front raise - 3 sets x 10 reps

Dips - 3 sets x 10 reps

Overhead extension - 3 sets x 10 reps

Tricep press down - 3 sets x 10 reps


Wed:

Warm up - varies

Deadlifts - 4 sets x 5 reps

Pull ups - 3 sets x 5 reps

Rows - 3 sets x 5 reps

Bar curls - 4 sets x 5 reps

Dumbbell curls - 3 sets x 8 reps

Reverse Curls - 3 sets x 8 reps

Wrist curls - 4 sets x 8 reps

Fri:

Warm up - varies

Squats - 4 sets x 5 reps

Calf raises - 4 sets x 12 reps

Cleans - 4 sets x 5 reps

Circuit - 3 times
Push ups - 10 sets
Jump squats - 10 reps
Medicine ball slam - 10 reps
Dumbbell swing - 10 reps

No comments:

Followers