My photo
I'm a father, I'm a husband, I'm a child, I'm a brother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint, I'm a fighter, I'm a lover, I'm a student, I'm a teacher,

Friday, January 29, 2010

Fri 1/29/10







"If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton


A little set back today. After chili bingo with the family and some friends at my sons school, I worked out. I was still sore from grappling last night, so I tried to take it easy. I still can't do pull ups because of my ribs and my lower back and legs were sore, so no deadlifts or squats. But here is what I did:



Chest - 4 sets of Bench press x 8 reps



Shoulders/core - 3 sets of hand stand walks with legs against wall x 16'



Shoulders - 3 sets of dumbbell upward rows x 8 reps



Core - 3 sets of ball slams x 10 reps



Bis - 3 sets of dumbbell curls x 10 reps



Tris - 3 sets of tri press downs x 10 reps



Legs/chest /core - 3 sets of burpees x 10 reps



I plan to lift again on Mon late and hopefully swim at lunch. I hope I start regaining my strength.

Up until 1993 (I was 19) I had done some TKD and boxing with friends who were going to schools/gyms. Even though I was taking classes and was 6' 1" (6' 2" with hair) and weighed 125lbs, I thought I was tough for my size, but still had trouble with some bigger guys. The UFC was on pay per view in 1993 and I watched a thin Brazilian named Royce Gracie beating up much bigger guys on the ground. I hated going to the ground. He was doing something called Gracie Jiu Jitsu. I thought it was the best real fighting I had ever seen!!! I still loved Bruce Lee, but really wanted to add this to my boxing and high kicking skills. The problem was that there were no Gracie Jiu Jitsu schools around. In 1994 I met a small and thin guy (he is pretty muscular now) named Rick Cabral at the Olive Garden, where he worked. We talked a little bit and he told me he was a black belt and taught Gen Lee Jiu Jitsu, which was an Americanized version of Japanese Jiu Jitsu. I was sold!!! This style did not just focus on the ground, it was more like Judo ground, Karate stand up, and a whole lot of self defense. Still, I loved it and it made me somewhat well rounded. It turned out that the small thin guy is one of the toughest, athletic guys I have ever met. Only 3 years older than me, he held a black belt in two styles, was a gymnast, and an all around BMFer. On top of all that, he was attending Rutgers and was a super nice guy. I learned so much about many things and I am glad to say he is still my friend and we email each other daily. He has said that the roles have reversed between us, but I am not too sure about that. He will always be my Master. Thanks Rick!!! It wasn't until 2005 when I came across Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in San Antonio, TX. There, I started a new journey, but it was my foundation that saw me quickly learn the beginnings of BJJ. But that is a story for another day. I still owe Royce Gracie for helping me understand the need for ground fighting and bring about the integration of multiple styles to form MMA, which was what Bruce Lee had preached for years.

Have a safe journey.







No comments:

Followers