My photo
I'm a father, I'm a husband, I'm a child, I'm a brother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint, I'm a fighter, I'm a lover, I'm a student, I'm a teacher,

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thurs 1/28/10



"Life can either be accepted or changed. If not accepted, it must be changed. If not changed, then it must be accepted." - Unknown Author



Today I grappled (no gi) for the first time in 3 weeks. I had one of my good friends come over and a new guy that found me online. They both knew I was still getting over my boo boo ribs, so we took it easy.

I jumped rope for 5 mins and then stretched.

We warmed up with a light, no submission roll. Then we went over a technique variation.

My friend showed us a different approach to the guillotine choke (different to me any way). You get the choke position in closed guard, making sure your arm pit is high on their neck, as far down their neck as possible. Holding the choke with one hand, make sure the choking elbow is pushing down against the side of their head, nice and snug. Also make sure your knees are over their floater ribs. With your head on the mat, pinch your knees together over the floater ribs, stick your crossed feet straight in the air (those two parts are important), then push them down and stretch the guy out. His neck will be in the same place and you should be able to choke them with little to no strength and with only the one arm. The biggest probs are getting/keeping your knees over their floater ribs and keeping your head on the mat as I am used to lifting it. Now, I normally stretch them out depending on the type of choke, but the difference is pinching the knees with your legs straight in the air before the stretch.

I did pretty good as long as no one was on the ribs and was a bit winded, but moved well and transitioned from bottom to top to bottom like normal.

Looking forward to lifting tomorrow.

I started to think about when I started having an interest in MA, and like most, it was from watching Bruce Lee, when I was around 4/5, 1978/79.

My parents were divorced around then, so we didn't have money for lessons, but as I got a little older I started to train myself (not the best idea as a kid). I found ways to train with others in my teens, until I could pay for classes myself. Now there are a few different reasons, one is because I have a hero complex, always have. Being able to beat up 5 guys and save the girl has always been my dream, but luckily I have not had to lately. I think a lot of guys suffer from the disorder... The other reason was because it wasn't always easy being the only blond haired, blue eyed crack for most of your years in school. Self defense was a big part of it, but once I got decent at it, I hardly ever had to fight again. Confidence can be a great thing as long as it doesn't turn in to over-confidence.

With that being said, I think it is more than that. It is like this, why does a painter paint, a singer sing, a sky diver sky dive? Because they are good at it? Because it gives them a thrill? Because they get a release? Because they want to improve? Yes...but for me it is because it makes me feel free. I am most relaxed when someone is trying to beat the white off of me. When I am trying to combine body, mind, and spirit. Fighting is something natural. Kids can do it at young ages and animals do it for many reason, but the trick is to become good at it without being the biggest bear around. Thing what would happen in the wild if a deer could use BJJ against a lion....any way. The other thing for me is because I have always had an aggressive temper, later to be told I am bi-polar. What ever it is, getting my aggression out doing Martial Arts and/or working out keeps me the level headed, mild mannered, nice guy that most know, but ask my wife how I am when I am not doing any of that for a while...GrumpyAMF. So that's mainly the reasons I do what I do. Not to hurt people or because I like pain (I do enjoy a smack or two from my wife ;p) or want to be a pro fighter or prove how tough I am. I hope that helps a little...

Royce Gracie is the reason I turned to Jiu Jitsu, but that is for another night, I have to tend to my wife, she is sicky.

Have a safe journey.

1 comment:

Gina said...

"For me it is because it makes me feel free. I am most relaxed when someone is trying to beat the white off of me." I couldn't agree more.

Followers